Check back for 2015 trip dates and details.
Africa is blessed with a stunning natural environment and a population filled with courageous and capable people and communities. This is no more evident than in the West African country of Ghana and in the village of Okurase. With a rich culture of drumming and dancing, Okurase is truly a wonderful place to experience. Unfortunately, the residents of Okurase have virtually no access to medical care. With no toilets, sporadic electricity, a short food supply, and limited educational opportunities, their concerns are many. Along with these challenging conditions come a myriad of health problems, many minor and some life threatening. (view itinerary)
On this trip, both medical and non-medical professionals are needed to join Ghanaian professionals to provide much needed care to the warm and welcoming residents of Okurase. While anyone is encouraged to join the trip, medical professionals in allied health, administration, pharmacy, pediatrics, pulmonology, optometry, ophthalmology and more are needed. Non-medical volunteers will be able to help in a supportive role, garner community support, coordinate logistics, and manage patient information.
All volunteers will get the extraordinary opportunity to experience life in a rural African village and interact with the locals. Anyone with a positive attitude and a strong work ethic is encouraged to join Project Okurase, in partnership with the Medical University of South Carolina, and the SAGE Program, on what will be a truly rewarding and life-changing experience!
- All in-country travel - starting and ending in Accra
- All accomodations within Ghana
- All meals
- All activities and guides
- All entrance fees to attractions
- Emergency medical insurance
WHAT'S NOT INCLUDED:
- International airfare
- Participants are suggested to make their own air arrangements that connect to Delta airlines flight #478 departing JFK for Accra at 10:52 p.m. on 7/10/14 and returning on Delta airlines flight #479 departing Accra for JFK at 10:35 p.m. on 7/22/14 and arriving in JFK at 5:13 a.m. on 7/23. Please call the SAGE office to confirm your flights before actually purchasing.
- If you arrive in Ghana at a different time from the flight above there will be an additional charge of $100 for tranportation costs.
- For excellent travel support, feel free to call New Horizons Travel Agency for assistance booking your air ticket at 970-223-7400. Ask for Jill or Karen and mention the Ghana medical trip. Estimated total flight cost is currently around $2,400.
- Please plan to purchase insurance on your flight in the event that the trip is cancelled.
- Licensed physicians must become licensed in Ghana before the trip. This does not apply to nurses, assistants, or any other medical professional. Project Okurase will assist with the logistics of this process which includes filling out and submitting a form along with your resume and letters of recommendation to be reviewed by the licensure board. Please note, just recently Ghana substantially raised the cost to become licensed. New fees will range from $400-$600. Please inquire about details.
- Passport and immunizations
- Optional trip cancellation insurance
- Personal spending money (snacks, bottled water, & souvenirs)
SIGN UP & REGISTER:
- Minimum 15 participants required. Maximum 30 participants. Register early as this trip will most likely fill up quickly.
- Familes are welcomed and encouraged to join the trip. Individuals under the age of 18 need to be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- To sign up for the trip please click here.
- Please make checks payable to "SAGE Program." Mail payment to 19 Old Town Square, Suite 238 / Fort Collins, CO / 80524 / USA
- To pay via credit card please click here .
- Participant will receive a full refund minus a $75 cancellation fee if SAGE is notified by March 15, 2014
- If participant cancels between March 16, 2014 and May 19, 2014 traveler will receive a 50% refund minus the cancellation fee
- If participant cancels after May 19th there will be no refund
- Participant agrees that SAGE will NOT be responsible for any airline costs including, but not limited to, ticket price, change fees, and any and all airline cancellation policies
- Call the SAGE Program toll free at (888) 997-7243 for more information
- Or email Rhea Maze at email@example.com
- View Itinerary
- View Slideshow
- View Trip Flyer
- Click here for a short video of Ghana and a trip to Okurase Village
- Visit the musically vibrant and culturally rich West African country of Ghana
- Gain valuable medical experience in a safe, international setting
- Embrace the locals during five days of medical care and outreach
- Work side-by-side Ghanaian health care professionals
- Visit Cape Coast and tour an historic slave castle
- Participate in a drumming workshop
- Swim in the waters of the Atlantic Ocean
- Visit the Arts Centre in Accra
- Much more...