Thailand is covered by pristine jungle, untouched beaches and coral reefs that provide habitat for rare wildlife. Buddhist, Muslim and Moken (nomadic sea gypsy) villages live side by side in harmony. From reef to rainforest, these friendly people invite you to experience their traditional way of life and explore the diverse ecosystems of Southeast Asia.
SAGE volunteers have the opportunity to share local life and give something back to the areas affected by the 2004 tsunami that devastated this region. SAGE places volunteers with a well-developed NGO that started working here immediately after the disaster to rebuild communities and provide care for orphans. Today, volunteers can work at orphanages and help them develop sustainability programs. Volunteers serve as teachers in both local government schools and with the Burmese Learning Center for migrant children who are banned from attending Thai schools. Volunteers are integral to improve the lives and skills of disadvantaged youth. Program length ranges from one week to three months at the Orphanage, Special School, Burmese Learning Center, Nursery and Kuraburi Junior School.
No previous experience with the Thai language is necessary to volunteer as you will mostly communicate in English. Volunteers are provided a Thai phrase book to help with basic conversations.
- Enriching children’s lives at the Southern Thailand Orphanage
- Special education for disabled children
- Building confidence at the Burmese Learning Centre
- Interact, play and help with basic English at the Kuraburi Nursery
- Teach multicultural classes at the Kuraburi Junior School
- Semester long college internships are also available in teaching, organic farming, project management, fundraising and NGO development. Click here for a pdf with more details.
- All service programs costs
- Pick-up and drop off at the Phnom Penh airport
- Majority of meals – inquire about details
- On-site supervision and service at all program locations
- 24 hour support in the US
What's Not Included
- International airfare
- Additional food and bottled water
- Souvenirs and personal expenses like laundry, sunscreen, entertainment, etc
- Travelers insurance and trip cancellation insurance
Volunteers are provided furnished housing on-site. In some locations volunteers will be provided with nearby off-site housing.
Students are responsible for their own flight arrangements and coordinating airport transfers with our host organization.
Prices vary based on project and location. SAGE volunteers customize their own programs. Prices below are approximate. Please contact SAGE to inquire about your individual program.
- 2 Weeks........$1369 - $1509
- 4 Weeks........$1979 - $2149
- 8 Weeks........$2829 - $3419
- 12 Weeks......$4349 - $4719
Rolling admission throughout the year.